Established in 1974, Sarasota is the oldest continuously running BMX track in America. Over those many years it has hosted countless state, regional and national races. A cornerstone of Florida BMX racing, Sarasota BMX has worked with the former National Bicycle League, the former Sunshine State Association, Sunshine State BMX, and USA BMX.
The track has hosted the Strider World Championships from 2011 to 2013 – bringing smiles to age 5 and under riders from all over the planet. The Sarasota Track Team has won the Florida Commissioner’s Cup six years in a row. In 2016 the track underwent construction to become Sarasota BMX Supercross where it now hosts UCI World Cup, USABMX National, & Florida State races.
SWDPC Board (Officers)
- President – Michaella Tucker
- Vice President – Ben Ford
- Secretary – Alice Bixler
- Treasurer – Erma Miller
- Members at Large – Brittany Leggett, Cheryl Smith, Jonathan Doty, Sam Williams
- Bookkeeper – Erma Miller
- Awards chair – Cheryl Smith
- Volunteer Coordinator – Michaella Tucker
- Track Manager – Todd Burdick
- Historian – Alice Bixler
- Rider Representative – Percy Owens
- Head Official – Stefanie Peters
- Website/Promotional Material/Monthly Calendar – Jonathan Doty
- Marketing – Greg Kaufman
The Southwest District Parents Council, Inc. (a non for profit organization dba Sarasota BMX) operates a program of progression for Bicycle Motocross (BMX) and its athletes from youth riders to Olympic Champions. The program identifies future talent and prepares younger athletes with potential. The program develops riding skill technique (along with emphasis on nutrition) which prepares them for National/International competition and creates world class athletes.